Sunday, April 15, 2012

Little Victories

I wait at the bus stop in a half-hearted drizzle, both hands full of shopping bags, looking without much expectation for the 47.  I listen in to a conversation about plans for the next day; no school, no work, maybe some time with a friend.  Eavesdropping is an integral part of my language practice, and I am a diligent student.

Panting down the hill comes a well-dressed, middle-aged woman asking me about whether such and such bus has come.  I don't know, I say, in Serbian.  She asks again about the bus route, and I repeat, I don't know, letting her hear my American accent.

- Oh!  She says.  You don't speak Serbian!  (She says with genuine shock) But you look Serbian! 
- Thank you!
- Where are you from? 
- I'm from Chicago. 
- How do you like it here, in Serbia? 
- I love it, I say.

Maybe it was the jean jacket.  Or the leggings.  But being mistaken for a Serbian made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.